|Home Mapping St Thomas Church Burials|
St Thomas Church Burials
This page was last updated on 11 December 2011
Thomas Church is located in the centre of Ryde, at the bottom of the High Street, just below the National Westminster bank in St Thomas Square.
St Thomas Church is located in the centre of Ryde, at the bottom of the High Street, just below the National Westminster bank in St Thomas Square.
It is no longer used as a church and remains unoccupied and mainly unused today. A few times a year the church is open for cultural events.
The church graveyard was turned into a garden of rest in the 1980s.
History of St Thomas Church
Ryde was once part of the large parish of Newchurch and people from Ryde had to walk up to six miles to attend the Parish Church. In 1719 Thomas Player, lord of the Manor of Ryde, had the first Chapel of St Thomas’ built in Picket Close. The Right Rev Jonathan Trelawney, Bishop of Winchester, consecrated it on 27 June of that year. It was a Chapel of Ease to Newchurch, and endowed with a stipend of £10 payable yearly to the vicar of the parish to officiate in person or to send a deputy.
In the early 19th century, the population of Ryde was still expanding as it became a popular watering place, and it was decided to enlarge the chapel to accommodate the growing congregation. Unfortunately this still did not provide adequate space and the chapel was demolished in 1826 and rebuilt on a larger scale in 1827 by George Player, grandson of the founder, at a cost of £3,500.
The new Church was designed by James Sanderson of Cork Street, London, who also designed Brigstocke Terrace, Ryde. It was the same width as the old chapel but was much longer. In 1822 Elizabeth Lydia, younger daughter and co-heiress of George Player, married Captain Thomas Robert Brigstocke RN and ownership of the church eventually passed to them. It remained in the Brigstocke family's possession until 1956 when George Robert Brigstocke, the last in his line, passed away.
The church was built in the Early English style of architecture, and consisted of a nave, chancel and two aisles on the north and south sides. It had a turretted tower with wooden spire. The Church appears to have remained in its original form until 1947 when the spire became unsafe and was taken down.
Services continued at the church until Sunday 28 June 1959, when doors closed for the last time.
Sadly the church fell into disrepair and the interior suffered occasional vandalism. By 1969 it had fallen into such a sad and sorry state that it was threatened with demolition. In 1972, a group called The Friends of St Thomas was formed with the aim of raising sufficient funds to restore the Church to its former glory.
In 1979, The Trust of St Thomas was formed as a registered charity to take over the building on lease from the Portsmouth Diocese, and by applying for grants and donations it hoped to fund a complete restoration of the Church. Events moved slowly and in 1982 Medina Borough Council took over the churchyard and laid it out as a rest garden. Towards the end of 1985 the Trust was finally able to obtain a ten year lease on the building and, in January 1987, work started on the first stage of restoration. This entailed the repair of the roof tower, west front, and windows on the south side.
In the late 1980s the church housed an exhibition celebrating the bicentenary of the sailing of the first fleet to Australia.
Since then more restoration work has been carried out on the church with the hope of turning it into an exhibition and heritage centre for the town. Unfortunately for much of the year the building stands empty and is only used occassionally now for cultural events. Inside the church there are still some fine memorials to the lords of the Manor and many other notable residents of Ryde, and some beautiful and unique stained glass windows.
St Thomas Churchyard Maps
New maps of St Thomas Church graveyard have been produced by RSHG's Map Master, David Earle, using the old hand drawn maps produced by Jack Wheeler in the 1970s. When the churchyard was turned into a garden of rest and many of the headstones were removed and unfortunately today it is difficult to locate many of the burials.
The Map files are *.pdf files. If you don’t have an Adobe *.pdf viewer you can download one as a free download from http://www.adobe.co.uk/main.html . The files are large (to enable them to be easily read) so please allow them time to load.
There are 4 maps covering the area of the churchyard:
Alphabetical Index of people buried at
St Thomas Church
The document below contains 12 pages, you can search for a name by scrolling down using the side bar or by entering a name in the search box.
|For any enquiries you may have about the maps, indexes or mapping please contact David Earle.|